Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Gratitude, Part Two

Dear Reader, 

This morning, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed.  I foolishly started the day without getting into the Word, and I ended up even grouchier.  Breakfast was a disaster!  I decided on waffles, but then the first one completely stuck to the iron, and there was no way to clean it off until the whole iron cooled.  Since I had the batter ready, I moved onto pancakes.  The first three flipped normally, but the fourth collapsed into a gooey mess as I attempted to flip it uncooked.  This flipping attempt followed a mess of veggie bacon that stuck to the pan like glue.  I didn't even get a chance to flip those.  At that point, I just wanted to crawl into a hole and cry.  Really, the situation was quite humorous, as my husband expressed, but I was in no mood to hear it.  

I don't know why some days start out grouchier than others, but I do know that there's an immediate way to change my attitude.  At a time when I endured near constant trials, I meditated on Psalm 118:24 daily.  It reads, "This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it."  I spoke that verse in my head over and over again so that I could remember to be grateful for what I knew would be another trying day.  I made it through that time, and only with His strength inside me (Philippians 4:13).  I sometimes forget how much my life has turned around, making it easier to take things for granted (how could I be grumpy waking up next to my best friend on a day that my Best Friend graciously provided for me?).  But then the Lord does something for me that I don't deserve, and I humbly change my attitude.

Today, He provided me with excellent customer service.  I worried that going shopping would make me even less patient, as it isn't my favorite chore.  But when we need something, somebody has to go get it! I asked just the right person about a certain product that wasn't on the shelves, as the brand was discontinued.  She hopped online and checked all of the stores in the country to find what I was looking for, and then spent 20 minutes on hold while someone in Utah checked the store's stock.  It turns out they had one!  So the clerk wrote down my information, waived the cost of shipping, accepted my coupon, and told me to expect it on my doorstep.  I had been looking for this product for months, only hearing from other clerks that if I didn't see it on the shelves, they didn't have it.  But someone went the extra mile to ensure that I got what I had been looking for.  I thanked her with much gratitude, and I let a superior know about her excellent service.  I would have felt so guilty walking out that door if I wasn't sure that employee would be recognized for her outstanding customer service.  

After I let the clerk know how much she blessed my day, I thanked the Lord for the woman's presence in the midst of my bad attitude.  I've been in a much better mood since.  God seems to put just the right people in our lives, even strangers, when we need them.  I am so humbled by the Lord's continual grace and blessings in spite of all of the things I do that make me undeserving.  He is so merciful, isn't He?  Thank You Lord, for always caring for Your children in spite of our ingratitude toward You.  There isn't a thing we shouldn't be grateful for, as You make everything work together for our good.  Please forgive me for starting the day blindly by neglecting Your Word.  Thank You for Your mercy.  Amen. 

I pray that you will be quicker to kneel before the Lord when you wake up on the wrong side of the bed.  He's given us this day, after all!

In His grace, 
adguglielmo     


No comments:

Post a Comment