Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Feminism

Dear Reader, 

One of my facebook friends posted someone's list of injustices done to men because of feminism.  It was an exhausting read because of the repetition, blanket statements and unbelievable statistics.  The list was clearly written in anger, and I just don't agree with most of it.

Wait a second...now you think I'm a feminist!  Well, the joke's on you.  Knowing what the Bible says about men and women prevents me from being getting caught in the riptide of feminism.  However, I am very curious about how the whole movement started.  I recently read in a history book that Betty Friedan's The Feminine Mystique (1963) served as the "Bible of the feminist movement."  I want to know what all of the fuss was about.  I ordered a copy (so that I can make my own notes and Scripture references in the margins), and it should be here tomorrow.  

One description of the book says: "Friedan maintained that the post-World War II emphasis on family forced women to think of themselves primarily as housewives and robbed them of much of their creative potential."  

So I wonder: Is every homemaker or stay-at-home mom robbed of her creative potential?  Or is she exactly where she should be in order to let her creativity blossom within the context of what the Lord calls her to do?  You may call me biased, because I love being at home.  I love impressing my husband by making our weekend mess sparkling clean.  The undeniable convenience of handling business affairs during business hours blesses us, as well.  I get to experiment in the kitchen; I don't have to rely on Hungry Man to feed my hungry man.  I take care of situations requiring immediate attention (if our flatware rusts and we need to find a new set, pronto, I can be at the department store scouring shelves the same day).  And I'm learning tricks to stretch a dollar (we make up for having one income in the Bay Area by my close eye on the budget).  

I also get to write to you about my experiences and my walk with the Lord. 

Then there are the stay-at-home moms, and they're in a league of their own.  I was a nanny and a preschool teacher for years, and while I learned some of the skills every mom at home needs, I don't believe I scratched the surface of what they do.  They're on-call 24/7; I got to go home at the end of the day, and I had weekends!  They do all of the things I do (and more) with a toddler crying at their feet.  A friend who gave birth to her second son four days after our wedding threw both my bridal shower and bachelorette party (did I mention her first son hit his "terrible twos" early?).  At what point wasn't she realizing her creative potential?

Now, tell me, should she go back to school and try to make it as a rocket scientist because having a  family robbed her of her creative potential?  I think she'd be pretty busy trying to fulfill all of her responsibilities at home with that added commitment; there would have to be sacrifice.  I mentioned that I worked in childcare for awhile.  While it was great to be employed by my natural instincts and to get attached to some sweet kids, knowing that some were there from the time the school opened to after closing time (that means over eleven hours) broke my heart.  And sometimes, a child would turn from obedience as soon as his parents walked through the door, craving attention and discipline from those responsible for him.  Children are the first to face sacrifice when a mom neglects her duties at home. 

But feminism dictates that fulfilling household and family duties isn't enough.  Women have cast each other down trying to bring each other up.  Now we face our duties at home in addition to maintaining full-fledged careers.  And when the men, tired from doing their own jobs, don't instinctively pitch in at home, resentment builds, and Satan fans the flame of hatred. 

I have a lot more to say, and once I begin reading The Feminine Mystique with my Bible next to me, I will share further insight.  To anyone reading, please don't take offense to what you think I may be implying; instead, think about what I've said.  This is a sensitive topic, especially for my generation, as we never experienced a time before "girl power."  There are many more issues to be addressed.  We'll get there. 

Blessings today and everyday,
adguglielmo

Proverbs 31:10-31

No comments:

Post a Comment