Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A Modification

Dear Reader, 

Lord willing, this will really be my last post on feminism.  It wouldn't be fair to you to end as I did when I've since been enlightened with more truth.  A great thanks to my mother-in-law for shedding the light on something new.  

Over tea last week, she asked me, "When do you think feminism began?"  "It was the late nineteenth century, around the Victorian period," I answered, based on what I had learned from high school history classes and The Feminine Mystique.  Then we turned to the New Testament:

"Every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, for that is one and the same as if her head were shaved.  For if a woman is not covered, let her also be shorn.  But if it is shameful for a woman to be shorn or shaved, let her be covered... Does not nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him?  But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her"-1 Corinthians 11:5-6, 14-15.

What authority does Paul have over hairstyles?  Why do women have to wear hats while praying?  And what does this have to do with feminism? 

If we look back a few verses, we will see the natural, God-given hierarchy in 1 Corinthians 11:3: "I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God." 

God

Christ

Man

Woman

Now look back at the word "head" in red.  Given the context, we discover that a woman does not dishonor the head balanced by her neck when she prays uncovered; rather, she dishonors her husband, who is the head of his wife.  Feminism dishonors men.  Further, a husband who assumes the submissive role (in this case, by covering his head) dishonors his spiritual head, which is Christ. 

These verses pertain to our lives now and to the lives of men and women around 57 A.D., when Paul wrote his first letter to the Corinthians.  That means feminism has been around a lot longer than we read about in our history books.  I hadn't recognized feminism as such a prominent, ongoing form of disobedience.  Of course, the word of God addresses everything, and there is nothing new under the sun (Ecclesiastes 1:9).  Again, I thank my mother-in-law for leading me to the Bible for answers.  

From further research, I discovered many debates on the meaning of the first 16 verses of 1 Corinthians.  I found a helpful resource here: http://www.gty.org/resources/sermons/1844
While I don't agree with everything (like the pastor's disrespectful comment about the church), this sermon debunks many a question about these verses.  He made a great point about the natural order, saying that Christian feminists who believe women are not meant to be in submission to their husbands must also believe that men are not in submission to Christ, and that Christ is not in submission to God.  Why, then, would Jesus hang on the cross if He were not in submission to His Father's glorious plan?

Paul indicates submission by citing distinct physical features in verses 14 and 15 (women have long hair; men have short hair).  The women who were cutting their hair short defied the conventional appearances of women; in order to defy the natural order, they were shorn.  We see another action resulting from the flawed feminist attitude dating back far before the "roarin' '20s."  A woman's shaved head represented her insubordination, while a man's long hair indicated his nonacceptance of his role as the head of his wife.  It's not really about the hair!  During those times, those hairstyles did relay an underlying attitude.  But these days, a woman cuts her hair short because it's convenient, and a man grows it long because he skateboards.  I would say that's fine and good as long as they each have an attitude of submission to the headship of a husband and Christ.

Paul further emphasizes the different roles by telling women to cover their heads and men to leave theirs uncovered.  Does that mean we ought to show up to church in our Easter bonnets every Sabbath?  I should hope not!  Instead, knowing our roles of submission, we ought to cover ourselves modestly to bring honor to our heads.

These verses on head coverings always threw me for a loop.  I wondered why so few women in the church wore hats, but if I should start wearing one, too.  I now understand how these verses pertain to the roles of men and women and the ways in which we ought to be in submission.  I highly recommend listening to the sermon I used for reference (I read the transcript on an external site before discovering the audio!).  One of the best ways I absorb the word of God is by listening while cleaning my apartment; it helps me remember Whom I'm serving as I scrub the counters.  

Thank You for this day, Lord.  I pray that You will enlighten Your people to understand the words of Your mouth.  Help us to be in submission so that we may glorify You in the order You laid out for us.  We love You and praise You for all that You are and all that You are doing in us, God.  Amen.

Have a blessed day of discovery!
adguglielmo        






 

No comments:

Post a Comment