Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Flawed Feminist Attitude

Dear Reader, 

 A few weeks ago, as I read more about some of the first textbook feminists (those who earned women the right to their wages and the right to vote), I became conflicted.  I had just proudly voted in the primaries, so I wondered how I could possibly condemn the women who fought for that right.  And where would I be, had I not been allowed to keep my wages?  How could I have afforded to move to San Jose before my husband and I became engaged?  How would I have paid for my apartment before we made the commitment to get married...and then live together?   

At the same time, I noticed a certain tone in modern people and publications.  In women, I found an air of significance and superiority.  I found an example of this in a statement about the rise in persecution of men, which was gleefully dismissed with something wicked like, "Oh, how the tables have turned."  In men, I discovered weakness and complacency regarding their roles as protectors of the family.  A Mercury News regular commended the new kick-butt girl movies hitting theaters ("The Hunger Games," "Snow White and the Huntsman," "Brave").  Then he went on to say that he would be the one wiping his wife's brow as she wielded a bow, complaining that he was tired of climbing up tall towers to save princesses.  What a backwards world we live in!

Our society no longer rears men but overflows with boys in the adult life.  It begins with the feminist attitude that says, "Anything you can do I can do better."  If that's the case, then why would a man provide for his family?  Woman can do it better, so let her!  Women can also pay for their own meals, drive their own cars and open up doors.  Really, what good are men?  

See the flawed feminist attitude? It's the key difference between those first noted "feminists" who were fighting to rightfully obtain equal treatment, and today's feminists, who are fighting to be better than everyone else.   For awhile, I wrestled with the knowledge that prior to the twentieth century, women were treated as lesser people.  For some reason, I couldn't comprehend that our society has not always been on a constant downward slope.  But I realized that there are peaks, as when our country liberated the slaves.  One of those peaks belongs to discovering the equality of men and women.  A steeper slope belongs to the idea that men and women were not created equally in the likeness of God. 

Most of my discovery has come from observing the world, talking with wise Christian women and knowing the Proverbs 31 woman had enough on her plate to make her equal, but not superior to a man (her husband was known at the gates, remember?).  I am thankful to live in place that recognizes equality, because I can't wait to vote in the presidential election this year (Your will be done, Lord).  But I'm still sad knowing the enemy's abundant perversion of truth, which encompasses today's feminism.  

I'm not sure why I began my study or what I expected to discover, but I am so grateful to the Lord for allowing me to understand.  I pray that you will understand, too, and that He will guide us to those who are lost, so that we may teach them His everlasting truth.  

What a journey...
adguglielmo   



No comments:

Post a Comment