Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Effects of Feminism on Motherhood

Dear Reader, 

I’ve chosen a dangerously hot topic to study.  I’ve taken a lot of time to think about what I’m reading, as well as some time to talk to seasoned women in the church, and I think I’ve come near the end of what I thought would be a much longer research project.  I’m not finished with The Feminine Mystique, and I’ll keep reading, but I think just a few blog entries suffice to summarize the effects of feminism.  If the body or the book reveal something else to me, I’ll be sure to let you know. 

As I said, feminism is a hard topic to talk about, even in the church.  I note that especially in regard to my own generation, as the attitude toward having a family and raising children seems to have changed.  A chapter in The Feminine Mystique is devoted to relaying the author’s incredulous attitude toward the majority of women in the 1950s who followed their hearts’ desires and became wives and mothers.  They thought that was all they wanted.  But no, Betty Friedan reveals: They were wrong!  They were unsatisfied!  Once they achieved that ultimate purpose, they were left wondering, “Is this it?” 

I talked to my grandma about this.  She came of age in the 1950s and started a family of her own.  She said she didn’t know a single wife who fit the role of that stereotype we all know.  My grandma didn’t fill those shoes, either.  She was restless like everyone else Betty Friedan interviewed for her book.  I worried that this fact would prove contrary to the point I am trying to make, but then something stood out: My grandma wasn’t yet saved. 

I notice a detachment in people who aren’t walking with the Lord.  The hairdresser I last saw thought it was great that I’m at home now, but she said I’ll want to be far from it when I have children of my own.  Another woman at the bank relayed how tired she was from “babysitting” her son the previous day.  She had to watch him all day long!  My heart went out to that family.  Indicated at other points in the conversation, these women clearly weren’t saved.  The Lord must put something in His women in order to make them real, nurturing mothers.  Otherwise, we’re all just people floating alongside each other in this world, and one’s own is no different from another’s.   

Feminism has affected motherhood by telling women that they should be more.  I’ll admit, sometimes I fall under this false judgment, too, even before taking that leap.  This rampant, evil, unjust judgment condemns the hearts of those who are doing exactly what they are called to do.  It’s so sad to see this affect the lives of children who were brought into the world by no choice of their own. 
Being a mother is hard.  I do not speak from experience, but observation (and I am working to prepare myself for that prized position which I one day wish to hold).  I pray that you mothers will not feel the unnecessary guilt with which Satan weighs women down.  If you are a mother doing everything as unto the Lord, you are fulfilling the perfect role for you.  Don’t listen to the accuser who tells you that you aren’t enough.  What an undertaking being a full-time parent is!  And what an honor you are to the Lord. 

This is not meant to exclude those of you in the church who have the gift of singleness, those who have chosen not to have children or those who are employed single mothers.  If you’re following God’s plan for your life, you are an honor to Him, as well.  I am speaking for the faithful mothers because they are attacked by Satan through feminism.  Betty Friedan, a mother, does not condemn motherhood itself.  Rather, she discourages taking on motherhood as a full-time job, as a title, as a source of fulfillment.  But that’s just not fair to the women obedient to the Word who have made the decision to wholeheartedly raise their own families.  
      
You can see, if not live out, how difficult it is to be a full-time mom in a world that says, “Well, what else are you?”  Can you see how the feminist movement brought us here?  And can you see the sneaky role Satan has played behind the scenes of the movement that intended to exalt women? 
I pray that we will all remember to look at ourselves as God looks at us, not as the world looks at us.  As believers, we are promised persecution and tribulation.  But if we make it our mission to glorify Him in all things, we will overcome and be fulfilled (as much as we can be in our fallen state) by whatever life plan the Lord has laid out for us. 

May the Lord keep you,  
adguglielmo 

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit”-Romans 8:1.








No comments:

Post a Comment