Friday, April 27, 2012

Our Speech

"Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt..."-Colossians 4:6.

I just finished up the last lesson of my Colossians precept study.  I had never even heard of Precept Ministries before I signed up for the class.  But I had just been let down by the closure of the Christian university I had my eye on, so when I heard the class required a lot of homework, I, interestingly enough, couldn't wait to start.  My husband and I got engaged the weekend before the first class, and as we planned our wedding in three months, I didn't put as much effort into the study as I had hoped to.  However, I still yielded the great results of increased knowledge of the Word, as well as a more humble attitude before the Lord. 

This last day of study focused on our speaking to unbelievers.  Lately, I have been thinking about my speech.  If someone whom I don't know were to drop in on a conversation between my husband and I, between another saint and I, or between my mom and I, would he know that I follow Christ?  What if I didn't mention Christ at all?  Would there still be a chance that I would be set apart for my wholesome speaking? 

My guess is no.  Lately, the Lord has put it on my heart to watch the things that I say.  I don't mean curse words in particular, because those seem easy enough to avoid (I would certainly disagree if I were still in high school; thank You Jesus, for growing me every day).  I'm talking about content, the subject material of my conversations.  Are the things I say worthy of reaching the ears of my Father?  No, not always.  I think I've had a few conversations this week that the Lord heard and was pleased by.  But I know I've also had conversations in which words tumble out of my mouth before I can catch them, or worse, I speak in spite of the Holy Spirit's instruction to be quiet.  I cringe thinking about both of these, knowing that I can do better. 

For me, the struggle is a heart attitude.  What I have in my heart is revealed in my speaking.  If I have a bad attitude about something, it will inevitably show in my choice of words.  My first instinct is to wish that I could just keep it to myself.  But I know if I did, I would be without physical evidence of my heart issue, and likely hang on to it rather than address and demolish it.  I didn't understand this until I started writing. 

I asked my husband a few days ago what it means when he prays for the Lord to bless our conversation.  He asks this nearly every time we pray, but I never questioned what he meant by it until Tuesday.  He prays this so that our conversation will be glorifying to God, as I thought, but it wasn't until I heard those words that I felt convicted.  Is what I say glorifying to you, Lord?  I want all of my words to be seasoned with salt.  I want them to be flavored with the language of Your Word to bring glory to You and to teach others who You are and who Your people are called to be.  

In Ephesians 4:29, we read: "Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."  This is similar to the verse from Colossians above, which is preceded by this: "Conduct yourself with wisdom toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunity" (Colossians 4:5).  As believers, we have the responsibility of letting Christ reveal Himself in our actions and in our speaking.  And as you know, that is a really hard thing to do.  So I pray, Father, that You remind others as You reminded me that our speech is a way to glorify and honor You.  Bind the enemy who longs to push forth his thoughts from our mouths.  Let us speak only according to what You have revealed to us through Your Word.  Amen. 

Have a blessed weekend of wholesome speaking,
adguglielmo

1 comment:

  1. Alexandra; I am so happy you are my Granddaughter. Your testimony of your life in Christ gives me an aspiration to reach higher into my spiritual developement! In my natural man I would like to take some credit for "feeding you Christ" when you were little. BUT,the Lord reminds me that it was ALL HIM! He gets all the GLORY!! I Love you and Praise our wonderful Jesus for giving you the gift of writing your experiences to encourage others.
    Your Grandmother, Rheta

    ReplyDelete